We know you work hard. That’s why we’re here to remind you to pause, reset and have a little fun! Finding ways to unplug from the grind can be tricky, so we’ve rounded up a few ideas. Write them down, put them in a jar, and select a ‘mini break’ whenever you need one.
9 Easy Ways to #HitPause
1. Pause for 10 minutes of meditation (or a 10-minute nap!) There are a gazillion meditation apps you can download on your phone to help you breathe and re-center your mind. You’ll be amazed to see how just a few minutes of intentional meditation can bring you greater mental clarity and reduce stress while expanding your creativity. Or, heck, just take a nap!
2. Take a walk around the block (and leave your phone at home!) If you winced at the thought of parting with your phone—even for a short walk—this goes double for you. Explore your neighborhood and soak in some much-needed vitamin D while taking a break from the endless screentime.
3. Call your mom (or, better yet, FaceTime!) Or your dad. Or your dear old Nana. You’re a blast to talk to, obvs, so bless the people in your life with a quick update on your life and ask them about theirs! You know you’ve been dying to tell them about all the hilarious shenanigans you’ve been up to.
4. Write a song/poem (and keep it only for yourself!) Here’s a fun trick for those of us who aren’t particularly poetic. Pick a basic song (something like Twinkle Twinkle Little Star) and replace the words with something that’s meaningful to you. It can be funny, dramatic, romantic or total nonsense. It’s just fun to create something new.
5. Learn a TikTok dance (share it or keep it totally secret!) This is no small feat, of course, but it’s uproariously fun and gives you a chance to move your body. Does it have to look perfect? Heck no. Just move around and have some fun!
6. Draw a picture (it doesn’t have to be a masterpiece!) Painting works too if you’re feeling inspired. It’s not about creating the perfect piece of art—it’s about expressing yourself without words. From stick figures to watercolors, let your hands do the talking for a while.
7. Invent a new cocktail (use whatever you’ve got at home!) This is a great activity for after work hours. Play mixologist by combining your favorite Barefoot Wine with fresh fruit, fruit juice, sparkling water, flavored syrup or even candy to create a new drink that’s all your own! There are no wrong answers, folks.
8. Try a new podcast (there are so many to choose from!) Pop culture, true crime, fantasy, self-help… you can find a podcast on just about any topic these days. Pop on your headphones and get to listening.
9. Give your fur baby your undivided attention (they live for it!) This is crazy, but did you know that eye contact with your pup triggers the release of oxytocin (the love hormone) in both humans and canines? It’s like the sweetest, cuddliest therapy, it benefits you both and it’s completely free.
Feeling inspired? Write down a few of your own ideas to add to your ‘mini break’ jar! Leave it in a central location (desk, kitchen, etc.) as a reminder to #HitPause every now and then.